Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Motorcycle Musings

What bike should I use in the 2011 Iron Butt Rally? That question occasionally wakes me, and I've considered several.

My 2006 K1200GT, seen to the right here with me piloting it through the Dragon is my first option. It's already in the garage. If I keep it, it will have about 80,000 miles at the start of the IBR. And it will need an auxiliary fuel tank, something I consider to be a mechanical complication.

I've also considered the BMW R1200RT. It's lighter and more comfortable than my current bike. It has a greater range, too, and might not need an auxiliary tank. The RT was the first replacement bike I thought about when I knew I won a place in the Rally.

But then BMW announced the new K1600GT, and suggested it would reach the US by April of next year. Just in time, right? I don't think so. I want more time in the saddle of that new, heavy bike than two months.

A few days ago someone mentioned the 8.7 gallon tank on the R1200GSA. In a pinch, it will get me nearly 400 miles without a fill up, and would preclude the need for an auxiliary fuel tank. And it's just as comfortable as an RT.

Stay tuned for my decision in the coming weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment