Wednesday, March 16, 2011

New Second Rally GPS


The old Garmin 276C was not cutting it. It's quite old. Locking onto enough satellites takes several miles every morning. It's fabulously expensive proprietary memory card will only hold about one fifth of the US (don't even calculate the Canada factor). And its form-factor is massive.

So I quizzed several Iron Butt friends, and watched what riders brought to meet-ups. The Garmin Nuvi 550 was the choice as a backup to my Zumo 665. Full North American maps, waterproof, etc.

The current plan is to keep the Zumo in north-up view, while using the 3-D view on the Nuvi. I'll use the speed and speed limit fields on the Nuvi, freeing up the data fields on the Zumo for other things.

If Woolie gets my auxiliary tank fitted by Saturday afternoon, I'll test the new farkle out on Sunday.

Oh, and the new 'Stich comes tomorrow. Stay tuned.

1 comment:

  1. It sounds like you're well on the way! I've been wondering what the GPS dujour was as I'm still using a 2610...

    ReplyDelete